Anyone who ever came to the former Auschwitz Birkenau concentration camp surrounded by a barbed wire fence, had to first pass through the main entrance gate known as the “Gate of Death”. The name is not accidental. It was in the former German Nazi concentration and extermination camp Birkenau that the overwhelming number of KL Auschwitz victims died – over a million people, Jews, Poles, Gypsies, as well as Soviet prisoners of war and prisoners of other nationalities. The vast majority, as much as 90% of the victims, were Jews.
The contemporary shape of the Auschwitz Birkenau Death Gate comes from 1943. The direct railway line under the crossing was not built until the spring of 1944. Above the gate, through which the railway track runs today, there is a two-story watchtower. From its windows you can see the panorama of the former camp. Inside, however, there are still single-storey buildings made of raw brick and the main guardhouse of the camp.
The Birkenau Death Gate is located on the site of the former Auschwitz II concentration camp and is part of the Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum.
Państwowe Muzeum Auschwitz-Birkenau
ul. Więźniów Oświęcimia 20
33 844 8000